Looking for Curtis Uyeda [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Looking for Curtis Uyeda

Steckje
02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
hey there,

I'm in search of Curtis Uyeda stamps. When he died more than 10 years ago, I believe his mother sold his stamps for awhile. Then it appeared that Paula Best picked up and sold some of his images. But now I can't find anyone who is selling them. I have several of his images and would like more as I'm in an "Asian/Clean lines" phase with my stamping.

If anyone knows of a retailer selling his designs, I'd love to hear about it. If you have Curtis stamps you'd like to sell, I'd love to hear from you!

thanks so much!
~Jennifer

alsmouse
02-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Paula Best is the only source I am aware of at this time. She is running out of his stamps so may only have a limited amount available. Check out her website for more info. Good luck on the hunt. ~C8>www.paulabest.com

XrayAmy
02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I still miss Curtis. He liked my palm tree stamps so we would trade and shows.

dnelsong
03-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Jennifer,

Have you tried saving a search on ebay? That system will automatically notify you if an item matching your search terms comes up.

Debra

lacelady
05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Curtis Uyeda's parents are selling his stamps. They usually do the shows in the area and as far north as Washington. They still have his catalogue and if you have an old one, it should have the address in Palo Alto. I think they have someone to make his stamps, as there seemed to be plenty when I saw them last. I miss him and his droll sense of humor, too.

gg designs
07-16-2009, 05:53 PM
I didn't know him personally and only saw him at one show before he died but I love his work. Thought it almost too lovely to be rubberstamps. That sounds awful doesn't it? But his touch was so his that it's hard to see anyone improving on them or even doing them justice.

Good thing for him....and now for his parents, I guess, that my opinion wasn't shared by everyone.

Charlotte

lacelady
07-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Curtis was a faithful Buddhist, a vegetarian and exercised regularly. His heart just gave out and his mother found him curled up with a book he had been researching. His funeral was attended by over 900 people; that is how beloved he was. Check out meerimages for a stamp in tribute to him. The quirky stamp has a little guy (Curtis) riding on a dragonfly. Stephen explains. The parents still live in Palo Alto and still have a catalogue of his stamps. He was so nice, big hearted and had a dry sense of humor. Elaine

karv'd
07-19-2009, 10:43 AM
I think I have a Curtis Uyeda stamp. I used to be big into stamping ten years ago and am just now getting around to going through all my stuff and selling a lot of it on ebay. It's of an Asian-looking mask with a scowling expression.

I corresponded with him a bit just before he died. He was so kind and funny--a great artist, too. It was a shock to learn that he had died.

ekduncan
08-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I lucked up a few years ago and wrote to an address I had for his stamps. I got a nice letter back from his mom and was able to purchase a catalog and some of his stamps from her. At that time they did everything through US mail only.
Here is the contact info on the catalog they sent me.
FYI - they only sell unmounted according to my catalog

Curtis Collection
C/O Midory Uyeda
3326 St. Michael Drive
Palo Alto CA 94306

Hope this helps.
Evelyn

alicewonder
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
I have a catalog of the Curtis Collection from about 12 or 13 years ago. Would you like to have it? I could mail it to you, if you like. I don't know much about using this chat, so I hope I can find you again if you are interested.

Alice