liquid embossing glaze [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : liquid embossing glaze

domsmom
04-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Hello my name is Marlene and I was at the stamp show this weekend in NJ and they were making pen's out of domino's. They said there was an embossing liquid to use on the pen's and I can't seem to find what they are talking about. They said that you are to use a heat gun on it to set the glaze and it is liquid. Can anyone help:confused:

Inky Whiskers
04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Marlene & Welcome to RSC!!!

Do you remember the name of the company doing the demo or the brand name of the product? Knowing that will give us a starting point for research.

I haven't heard of an embossing liquid like you describe it, tho' I have used various clear laquers and embossing powders to seal projects. Learning about something new in the world of stamping & paper crafts is exciting!!! :D:D

domsmom
04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I can't remember the name of the company - can you please explain to me the difference

Inky Whiskers
04-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I can't remember the name of the company - can you please explain to me the difference

The difference between the company selling the product & the company that makes it? (If the company selling isn't the manufacturer.) Or the difference between the various ways to put a clear coat of sealer on something? :D

domsmom
04-08-2008, 09:34 AM
of putting the clear coat on the item

Inky Whiskers
04-08-2008, 02:07 PM
There are several ways to add a clear layer to seal & protect. Here's a list of the most common ones I know about with basic info:

1) acryllic spray ~ Comes in cans and in finishes ranging from matte (no shine) to high gloss (very shiny). You have to use this in a well ventialted area like an open garage or patio unless you have a deluxe vent system handy. Think 'clear spray paint'. It will stick to most surfaces and shouldn't run if applied in multiple thin coats that are allowed to dry between applications. Can be found in both craft & hardware stores.

2) brush on sealer ~ Comes in cans and may be called 'polyurethane', 'lacquer' or by some other defining term. You paint it on using a flat brush (sponge or bristle). May require sanding after a layer dries before adding the next layer. This is a very durable finish if several layers are applied. Also comes in different levels of shine. Can be found in both craft & hardware stores. Cleans off the brush if you wash it in warm soapy water while still wet.

3) craft lacquer ~ Some well known brands are Diamond Glaze (Judi-kins) & Crystal Effects (Stampin' Up!). This is a lightweight version of #2 intended for crafting (rather than for home improvement wood projects like #2) and comes in small bottles or tubes with a narrow nozzle. Can be applied straight from the container. Don't shake the container or you'll get bubbles that are a pain to pop! (I've used this to seal ceramic tile coasters & dominoes as well as to make focal bubbles.) Usually available in the stamp or paper crafting sections and can be used to secure small items like charms, beads & fibers where other crafting adhesives don't hold well or dry clear. Also washable if done while still wet.

4) embossing powder ~ This is the least durable & most limited way to seal 3D projects as the item must be able to withstand the heat of the heat tool & getting the powder into tight spots can be tricky. Good for decorative uses only on paper, wood & glass but prone to chipping & cracking if dropped or bent. There are additives that can increase flexiblity in EP & work great for jewelry etc. but the other sealing methods are generally easier to work with if all you want is a clear top coat. Usually glossy, but 'frosted' powder is available too. (Frosted looks like etched glass or crusted snow.)

5) clear nail polish ~ Easy to find, easy to use & works well for sealing very small projects & for gluing buttons, charms etc. May chip if item is dropped, but easily repaired. Use in well ventilated room. Use nail polish remover to clean up drips, but be careful as the remover may also remove the finish of whatever it touches. High gloss.

The liquid sealers can have glitter & other bling added while the goo is still wet. What you choose to seal with really depends on the material, size & destined use of the item you wish to protect. I use matte spray sealer on chalks & mica powders to seal them to the paper w/o changing how the project looks. I use the gloss spray when I have a large project on a porous surface to seal & I want shine (i.e. a large wood plaque). I use the craft lacquer most for med - small projects w/a large T pin to push the glaze into narrow spaces & pop bubbles. I use EP for paper projects as a special effect rather than a sealer tho' it does seal whatever is under the powder. I don't use nail polish often, but it does the trick for sealing the ends of ribbon that tend to fray or sealing small oddly angled items that the other sealers tend to ooze off of before drying in a blob. One thing that most all sealers have in common is that the surface to be sealed must be totally dry or they won't stick well. If you've stamped or painted the surface & it isn't completely dry & totally cured, the colors can bleed and ruin all your lovely work. 24-72 hours is usually enough curing time before sealing, but check the manufacturer's directions on the container or go to their website to find the curing time required. I've found that if the info I want isn't on the website, emailing the company usualy gets me the info I need & they are happy to provide it as they want their customers to enjoy using their products & buy more of it.

I would like to know more about this liquid embossing sealer you saw! All the liquid sealers I listed have to air dry. Using a heat tool to speed things up just adds bubbles.:mad: Plus, they can take several hours to completely set depending on the humidity.

Please, let me know if you need more detail as I will happily ramble on about anything stamp related for days on end. :D

Spideycindy
04-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Could it be like melt and pour UTEE? Do you think that is what they ment?
Is there a web site or link of an example of the finished product you fell in love with? A visual might help to get the idea.
Spideycindy

alsmouse
04-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Could it be DG3? ~C8>

Inky Whiskers
04-08-2008, 08:26 PM
What's DG3? :D

backerma
04-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Judikins came out with a newer Diamond Glaze that dries perfectly clear. It is marketed as DG3, and does not get cloudy when used in the Patera pendants.

Inky Whiskers
04-09-2008, 02:35 AM
I went a Googling and maybe one of these brand names will ring a bell:

Plaid/All Night Media Liquid Embossing ~ Glass Finishes
Anita's 3D Clear Gloss Finish
JudiKins DG3 or Diamond Glaze
Stampin' Up! Crystal Effect
Ranger's Inkssentials Glossy Accents
Aleene's Laminate-It
Beacon Adhesives Liquid Laminate
Duncan Liquid Fusion Clear Urethane Glue

All of these products basically do the same thing. They can be used to apply a clear top coat that resembles melted embossing powder and protects the surface of your projects or to hold awkward embellishements like buttons, beads & charms on paper & wood. Some of them will work on other surfaces as well.

I noticed a plethora of mixed terminology between 'embossing liquid' refering to the clear ink used to hold embossing powders in place while heating & 'embossing liquid' refering to a clear liquid adhesive applied to seal a project without having to use heat. The term 'liquid embossing' was often used to describe what I know as 'heat embossing'. Both terms refer to the process of creating an effect with powders that liquify when heated and cool to a hard raised finish. The term 'liquid' is used to differentiate from the 'dry embosing' technique of pressing paper into a template or stencil with a stylus to get a raised texture on the paper.

I also went thru' the vendor list for the show you were at and none of the companies listed carried any of these product or something that would work like you described. :confusion:

stamplady 47
04-09-2008, 03:35 AM
The stuff I have is called clear embossing ink..boss gloss by Stampendous. It comes in a bottle with a dabber top and is 2 0z. You can take the dabber top off if you want to pour some out. It's really the same as a clear ink refill for your clear embossing ink pad. :wave: Barb<3

alsmouse
04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Judikins came out with a newer Diamond Glaze that dries perfectly clear. It is marketed as DG3, and does not get cloudy when used in the Patera pendants.

but DG3 does change to a blue color when used next to copper, per judikins.
Could this mystery item possibly be confused as embossing paste?? ~C8>

Inky Whiskers
04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't know, it might. Would embossing paste (The thick goop used with stencils to create dimension, right?) work to top coat a domino and be clear after drying or heating? I vaguely recall seeing a demo online for embossing paste and while I remember them adding color & glitter to the paste after shaping it with the brass stencil, I don't recall if they used a heat tool to set it.

The mystery continues! :D

domsmom
04-09-2008, 03:50 PM
that you all for all your help. I do have the diamond glaze and I will try it and let you know. If I mess up I will just try again. Thanks once again you all your knowledge

Inky Whiskers
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
You are most welcome! We like to help & we like to learn about new stuff & we like mysteries, so all of this was fun. Good luck with your experiments and let us know how things turn out! :D