Holly Berry House 3-D poinsettia tutorial? [Archive] - Rubberstampchat

View Full Version : Holly Berry House 3-D poinsettia tutorial?

Smudgeeeone
01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I bought a Holly Berry House poinsettia stamp at a local stamp store last year, but they had already had the class on how to use it to make a layered, 3-D, glittery poinsettia. They didn't offer the class this year. Now I have the stamp and no idea how to achieve the effect!

Any tips?

Thanks!

piecesandpom
01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
From what I've seen you'll want to stamp the stamp several times. I've seen folks emboss them clear, add glitter to the petals in a series. So, the first stamp you'd glitter up the outer petals, the second stamping, the second layer of petals, the third stamping the inner petals. Then folks cut out the second stamping at the second layer of petals, the third stamping the inner petals. Stack them up by adhering the second cut-out stamping over the first, adhere the third to the second, etc. until you decide whether you want glitter, a brad or a gem for the center. You can leave them flat and a little off center or you can take a tool (I use my bone folder) and carefully pull the edge against the petals to get a curve or curl to the petals. This is just like when you take the scissor edge and curl curling ribbon only gentler.

Hope this makes sense - it's gorgeous with ink/coloring and clear embossing, glitter highlights, whatever you want to do with it!

StamPoor
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Maybe Holly Berry House has a web site that might offer some help.

alsmouse
01-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Maybe Holly Berry House has a web site that might offer some help.

They do have a website; http://www.hollyberryhouse.com/
They are very helpful if you write them and ask questions, just use the contact info on the site. Don't miss all the neat stamps they have too. They have a new line of mini gift boxes that are stunning. ~C8>

Smudgeeeone
01-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Karen - Thank you so much! I admit I am still a little timid, though. I need to just jump in and try different combinations of paper, embossing powders, glitters, and glues. Maybe if I start now I will be ready for next Christmas :)

Stampoor - They do have a website, but they have no instructions on it, unfortunately.

Alsmouse - Thanks, I will shoot them an e-mail and see if they can add to the instructions that Karen kindly provided. The gift box stamps are shown in black and white with no sample board available yet. I'll have to check back - I'm sure they look much better irl than in the sketches!

stamplady 47
01-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Here's what I know about the Holly Berry Poinsettia stamp... I worked in a stamp store in Williamberg VA and the owner is really big on Holly Berry stamps and she teaches at least one class a month on this and has been going so for years. She also keeps cutting instructions for many of the stamps and when you buy one you get the instructions.
On the Poinsettia she uses 5 layers. She has told me that embossing in clear powder does not hold up as well as using colored pigment inks. She will stamp the Poinsettia stamp with white pigment ink(versacolor) and emboss with gold embossing powder. Then cut out the layers. She uses metalic papers in gold, red and green from Paper Cuts. After cutting the pieces out ,then she deceides ware to put the glitter. She used Art Institute glitter and their glue which dries clear. When dry the layer are assembled using 3D spacers. Don't use the thick ones..its too much. HTH Any questions just ask Barb Gayle

Smudgeeeone
01-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Stamplady 47 - That's very helpful; thank you so much!!!

In the same bag I have green and red papers and also Art Institute glitter in green and red (one is transparent and the other is opaque). Those things must have been the suggestions of the store owner.

This year they did not even put the poinsettia sample board on display at Christmastime :(

stamplady 47
01-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Would love to see your finished poinsettia..... post one when finished. Barb